Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Do-do-do-do Do-do-do-do

I had two "low-level" Twilight Zone experiences today.

1. In the building where I work, the restrooms are right across from the conference rooms. As I passed a conference room on the way to a "necessity break," there was a pretty big meeting in full swing. I would say there were 20 - 25 people there. I did my business, and emerged at most one minute later. AND THE PEOPLE WERE GONE! The room was empty; the lights were out. I understand that meetings end. But usually a few people linger and shoot the breeze. But there was no sign of life. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any of them around for the rest of the day....

2. Then on the way home, I stopped at Great Clips to get a haircut. This was my second time there. The first time, I learned that they ask for your name and phone number, purely for "servicing purposes," as in, logging what they did, so they will know what was done in order to help them on your return visit. They swear that the information will not be used for marketing purposes.  And that may be so. But as a privacy professional, I know that if they later decide to sell my information, they can, if they notify me in some fine-print legalese. So I try to avoid giving it out. The gentleman who checked me in was the same one who cut my hair the last time. He said if I had been there, my surname would be in the system. So I gave it to him, and he looked it up. "You're here," he said, showing me the screen. The name was "Seese." There was no first name shown. The address was not mine. BUT...the street was Bushnell Avenue.  My father grew up on Bushnell Avenue. It's a fairly small street. . .perhaps 500 feet long. I can't say when my father's parents moved out of the house. But they died in 1963, and by that time, my father was married, and not living there. He had no brothers. In short, I have no known living relatives on that street. And yet, there is someone with my name there.

(Cue Twilight Zone theme.)

No comments:

Post a Comment