Saturday, July 23, 2011

Word Counts

I obsess about word counts. I probably shouldn't. But I do. I track them more compulsively than a fantasy football leaguer tracks his players' stats. Of course it helps me to meet my goals if I can see real progress.

So having said that, I'm happy to say that I had a good week working on Udopia. here are the daily counts.

I started the week with 19,652 words. At the end of each day, it was:

Monday:    20,623
Tuesday:   21,619
Wednesday: 22,302
Thursday:  23,026
Friday:    24,055

That's 4,400 words; 880 per day. Not bad for probably one hour of work per day.

What does it mean? Well, as I referenced Monday, the publisher I'm targeting said they will accept 50,000 words, max. So I'm at least halfway there!

Obviously, when I get to the end (the first time) I need to then get out my machete, go back to the beginning, and mercilessly hack away the crap. That will reduce the count. But once I fill in all the placeholders--the places where as I'm flying along I know I need more, but don't have it in the forefront of my brain, so I type "MORE" and keep going--it probably will even out.

No comments:

Post a Comment