Monday, September 19, 2011

Another Day, Another Poem

This popped into my head Saturday night, just before bed. So I scribbled it down in bits and pieces, and finished it the next day. I could see adding more in the future, as other "green" ideas come to me. But I'm pretty happy with it now.

Green

I feel terrible.
But I had no choice;
my hand was forced.

Today,
I stood and waited for the bus,
to take me to my job
at the food co-op,
reading the e- (rather than tree-) version
of the Times on my tablet,
at my feet,
my reusable hemp-fiber lunch bag,
containing:
organic carrots,
dolphin-safe tuna
on unbleached bread,
and a locally grown apple,
and wearing
only clothes that were not manufactured
by Chinese eight-year-olds.
And non-leather shoes.

The bus came early,
and I was forced to throw
the aluminum can
containing my half-consumed Dr. Pepper
into a "regular" trash receptacle,
because there were no others close by,
and the bus has a strict
no-open-container policy.

I hope they don't revoke
my "green card."

I'm not a huge fan of free verse. After all, what really is the difference between free verse and prose? Line length, perhaps. But in this case, it just seemed to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment