Friday, June 1, 2012

Funny Foto #21 + Some Good Advice

This one isn't laugh-out-loud funny, as are (I hope) my other fotos. But I got a chuckle out of it.

I receive a daily email newsletter from SC Magazine, for infosec professionals. Here is an image of one I received earlier this week.


























I thought, That picture looks familiar. Where have I seen it?

Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Oh yeah. I remember: my book.

























The nerve of those guys! I'm going to sue! I'll have their hides! I'll...oh wait...it's a purchased image.

But seriously, the article is pretty interesting, even if you're not a propeller-head.  Especially fascinating / scary is the part about the malware being capable of "turning on the machine's microphone to record conversations."   

Based on its sophistication, the toolkit's targets aren't people, but rather nations and corporations. Still, that doesn't mean you should let down your guard. Just remain vigilant, and observe the standard best practices. 
  • Maintain an up-to-date anti-virus program. (Personally speaking, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and have it set to auto-update.) 
  • Don't click on links in emails unless you are certain you know that the sender is who he claims to be. (And to be on the safe side, always hover over the link and read where it actually will go.) 
  • NEVER click on a link from a email that purports to be your financial institution. 
  • And for goodness sake, don't pick up a thumb drive you find on a sidewalk and say, "Wow! My lucky day! I wonder what's on it?" 
Since I am rather evangelical about infosec -- after all, good security is good for all -- if you ever want some advice, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment