Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Haiga... Gesundheit

By Michael Seese

More results from my October MegaMonth...

OK, raise your hand if you know what a "haiga" is. Anyone? Don't feel bad. Two months ago, I didn't either. 


To put it in really simple terms, a haiga is a haiku with an accompanying picture. Wikipedia says, "Haiga are typically painted by haiku poets (haijin), and often accompanied by a haiku poem." The key point, though, is that the poem should not be merely a "caption" for the photo; they should complement each other.

(As an aside, I've also learned recently that in English, haiku don't have to follow the 5-7-5 syllable rule we all learned in school.)

So, my first haiga has been published on dailyhaiga.org. Here is the picture.



 


















Yes, I'm going to make you visit the site to see the whole thing.

Feel free to share your thoughts on "parents flip a coin."




No comments:

Post a Comment