Thursday, December 11, 2014

Castle: Kill Switch

by Michael Seese

I don't have a lot to say about "Kill Switch." Don't get me wrong; I did enjoy it. But perhaps because of the previously mentioned delays in seeing its conclusion, I felt less invested in it.
 

I thought it delivered what it promised. A tight, confined thriller (unlike the average episode which alternates between "We're in trouble" and "OK, now we're not.") which gave Esposito a chance to shine. So in that regard, it succeeded. 

I really enjoyed the car-ride conversation about parenthood between Esposito and Ryan. Serious stuff.

"What kind of father do you think I'd be?"

Which, of course, they had to deflate.

Esposito: "Can you hear that? That sound?"
Ryan: "No. What's that?"
Esposito: "That's my biological clock ticking. Tick, tock."
Ryan: "We were having a genuine, honest moment, and you had to ruin it by being a jackass." 

The writers somewhat bookended that bro-scene with another equally genuine, honest interaction at the end.

Ryan: "You had me scared."
Esposito: "That's because you're a wimp."

About the only other line worth noting is:

Castle: "We'll take the subway. Too soon?" And of course the bad pun follow-ups, "token" and "out of line."

The take-down was well-staged. When Aragon started unlacing her boot, I wondered why. But when she wrapped the lace around Stone's hand, it made sense.

Picky aside: It seems to me that when Stone stared at the hidden camera for like, 10 seconds before shooting it, that could have been a good time to go. Just sayin'

And I do have to say...

SPOILER!

... I thought the motive was a little iffy, as was the convenient deus ex machina revelation that Jarvis's husband was an attorney in the Erin Wilson case.

Oh well. One man's opinion. What are yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment