Saturday, July 11, 2015

Flash! Friday: The Playground

by Michael Seese

Last week, I thought the winning Flash Friday entry by Mark A. King was very moving. So I told myself I'd have to up my game this week. You can be the judge of that.

Our mission: base our stories on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl.

Story elements ...

* Plot: A poor boy along with four other children win a day in a magical chocolate factory; unbeknownst to them, the factory owner is testing the children for an even bigger prize.
* Conflict: man vs man (the children compete against each other) OR man v self (each child undergoes a trial related to her/his greatest flaw)
* Character: poor boy
* Theme(s): You reap what you sow
* Setting: a run-down shack at the edge of a great city OR a world-famous candy factory

We were given the optional picture

















which I sorta factored in.

So here is "The Playground."


"The place they park the Goodyear blimp," Pete countered.

"Batman's Cave!"

His voice now hoarse, Robby's words no longer echoed in the cavernous space.

"You know, Pete, I'm going to miss this place," Robby said, peering up at the graying sky. Indeed, to a boy who has nothing, playgrounds – real playgrounds, with slides, swings, merry-go-rounds – are scarce. An abandoned well field had to do.
"My leg hurts, Pete. A lot."

In reality, Robby felt phantom pain. The fall had broken his back, and physical pain no longer was possible.

"It's getting dark. You'd better go, Pete."

"I can't leave you, Robby. I never will. I'll always be with you."

"Pete, you've been the BEST best friend, ever. Even if no one else can see you. But it's getting dark. No one's going to find me down here. And I'm getting sleepy."


Look for a Janet Reid piece in this space tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment