Saturday, July 2, 2016

Janet Flash: Slipstream

by Michael Seese

Literary agent Janet Reid apparently has decided to clear some space on her bookshelves, and will give one lucky (no... TALENTED) writer 14 books. Among the titles:

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz 
The Bone Orchard by Paul Doiron  

So it's not hard to see why the words for this week's contest are

X
Bone
Devil
Slip
100


My entry is “Slipstream”

100 tick marks on the wall.

A red X tattooed on my shoulder.

In my hands, a rifle.

How did I get here?

Images flood the empty spaces in my mind. A woman. She is pretty. And in crosshairs. An unseen voice, even and evil, says “Pull.” My finger obeys. Gunpowder smell. A crimson spray. A dull ache starting in my heart and ending somewhere in my bones. The same unseen voice says “Reset.” My brain buzzes, and those jigsaw memories slide into the slipstream of forced electronic catharsis.

How did I get here?

101 tick marks on the wall...

 
We'll find out Monday (give or take) if I have a lot of books to read this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment