Sunday, November 5, 2017

Janet Flash: 18

by Michael Seese

Another busy week. 

Last weekend we had the usual lesson carousel on Saturday, the twins' birthday on Sunday, a grown-up Cub Scout meeting on Monday, and (of course) Halloween on Tuesday. After that, I had to work on a Pinewood Derby car, in preparation for Saturday's race.
























So I didn't have time to post this, my entry in Janet's latest contest, which was LAST Friday. Gushing over the Soho Press anthology The Usual Santas, Janet asked us to incorporate the words

soho
18
caper
short
story


in a flash fiction piece.

I had a few false starts with regard to ideas (I found the word "caper" to be challenging, because I wanted to use it on a way that didn't mean "exploit") I settled on "18."

Despite a spirited breath, I still missed candle number 18. Again. The lonely flicker danced in my parents’ eyes, sparking a bittersweet rewind / replay.

“Short stuff” taking her first unsteady steps, falling into the comfy chair to giggle through Cat in a Quicksilver Caper, howling in ecstasy after seeing the word “Congratulations” below the Harvard letterhead.

I wasn't prepared to leave all that behind.

Dad finally broke the requisite silence. “So, how are you holding up, sweetie?”

“Same old story. I miss her. I miss her so much. I wish she were still here.”

I’m still here, Mommy. I am.


Since this was last week's contest, I can say it didn't win. But I like it. And if I may both, I was pretty proud of the "spirited breath" line.

Feel free to let me know what you think,



No comments:

Post a Comment