Sunday, March 17, 2019

Janet Flash: Tilted **

by Michael Seese

Another week, another contest.

After two unsuccessful attempts to foil the brilliant Steve Forti, Janet is crying uncle, throwing in the towel, going belly up, and giving us a "normal" contest, the "slightly uneven, off kilter, write your way back to normal flash fiction contest."

She challenged us to use:

kilter
tilt
lean
list
roll



in a 100-word story. Wishing to do something fun with "kilter," I came up with Tilted**

“Hey, MacLeod! Your balls are showing. You ought to get a better slip.”

“Dobber!”


Kilters always hate it when you insult their tartans. 


Sure, my trolling bordered on juvenile. But I needed him off his game. Rumor had it a buyer was coming. 


Then she walked in. I nearly flipped. A definite A-lister.


“Nice,” she cooed, touching me, pressing all the right buttons, ringing my bells. “Very clean. I'll...”


She saw him and lit up. Like we did, once.


“Funhouse may be a classic. But Highlander was my favorite. I spent hours playing it. Sold.”


Story of my life.


Tilt!

 

** the reason I added asterisks is, much like last week, all too late I realized I goofed. Last week was a missing dash, which she forgave me (and others) for. This week, I didn't quite nail the ending. The now all-too-obvious last line should have been "Tilted again," a play on "Jilted Again."

D'oh!

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Just "got it" on a third read, Mr. Seese. Well done, truly! Makes me think of The Who.

    ReplyDelete