Monday, September 23, 2019

Janet Flash: Bondage, James Bondage

by Michael Seese

"A new wrinkle in flash fiction! I've been pulling out my hair with homophones recently, so time to get some use out of the damn things." So sayeth Janet Reid. As such, for this week's flash fiction contest, we had to use:


chic
sheik
praise
prays
preys 


And the Steve Forti torture words (Janet's torture, mainly) pain, pane

I was trying to come up with something that really played with the words. But when I hit on the way to split up "sheik," the rest fell into place, resulting in "Bondage, James Bondage.)


"You put up a valiant fight," I said.

"Lofty praise coming from a prey so… manhandacled."
 

Mangled malaprop aside, I couldn't argue. I've had better Saturday evenings cuffed to a chair.
 

"She's not coming, is she?" I knew the answer. But I needed his vanity to betray him. "You'd best pray she's unharmed. So, where is she?"
 

"The rain in Spain stays mainly...."
 

Spain! No doubt on his yacht, that floating pan-European phallic symbol. Now to roast this chicken.
 

"Speaking of prayers," he slobbered, moving in for the kill, unprepared for the flamethrower stashed in my cravat.
 

On to Barcelona.

No word on the winner yet, so my fingers remain crossed. (And they're starting to cramp.)


No comments:

Post a Comment