Thursday, November 5, 2020

Janet Flash: The Heretic

by Michael Seese

Ah, yes. Now I remember...

Two Fridays ago (October 23) literary agent Janet Reid posted the Get Back On Track Flash Fiction Contest, saying

This was one of those weeks I'd like to forget. I was down for the count for most of it, and have just now resurfaced to start digging around in my inbox.

She asked us to us

track
rant
couch
super
noise

in a 100-word story. I forget what had me so occupied Friday AND Saturday that I didn't write. I guess the muse was taking a holiday.

Then, Sunday morning, while driving to the Pittsburgh airport (about 90 minutes) I came up with "The Heretic," and brain wrote it (dictating, of course), stopping at a turnpike rest stop to clean it up and post it.


"The Heretic"

"Ouch. Could you try to be a little more careful with those nails!"

"Oh, all crucifixees complains about that," he said apologetically.

"How about that rack over there?"

"Actually, it's a Catherine Wheel."

"Learn something new every day."

"What do you think?"

I never was good with snap decisions.

"I don't know…"

"They do comes with a 100% money back guarantee."

"Super. I'll take them all.

Granted, it might be overkill. But with the family coming over for Thanksgiving, and the "rigged election" all they'll want to talk about, these little beauties should help keep the noise down.

It didn't win. But it did make the short list, with the comment, "Turkey Day at the Seese residence promises to be quite the day!"

And she's not far from wrong.

PS: I'm creating this post a few days before the election; hopefully, by the time you read it we'll all be relieved, and saying "President-elect Joe Biden." 


No comments:

Post a Comment