Sunday, August 21, 2011

Music Fest: A Great Weekend!

We just got back from our annual music party in Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania. I'll go into more details in a subsequent post or two. But I thought I'd give the overview tonight.

The event started as a pig roast at the family farm of my wife's friends (well before she and I met) years ago...perhaps the 1970s or 1980s. But from what I've been told, it got out of control when friends started inviting friends, who started inviting friends...  

So it went on hiatus. But Jake brought it back about a dozen or so years ago at the Century Inn in Scenery Hill.














The Century Inn was established in 1794, and is the oldest operating inn in America. I think George Washington did sleep there.
















The party itself is Saturday from 5:00 to ??? in the gazebo out back. And it's huge. Probably 150 people show up, and nearly half bring an instrument of some sort. But on Friday, Jake and the out-of-town folks are there having a more intimate gathering. Even though we're only about 2 1/2 hours away (and therefore could come out Saturday afternoon) we always show up Friday. When you walk in the front door, there is a center hall which leads to the back, with the stairs ahead and just off-center to the right. But a sharp right turn takes you into the tavern.

Back before we had children, we usually would enter, see our friends singing, playing, and drinking in the tavern, and just drop our bags in the hall, get out our guitars, walk in, and sing and play until about 2:00 a.m. Then we'd find our room, go to bed, get up, and repeat. The kids have changed the routine slightly, but not much.

 In my next post I'll write about some of the highlights of this year's event.







No comments:

Post a Comment