Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"All In The Name Of Regress" Revisited

Yes, I am going to repeat myself. But bear with me.

I originally came up with the idea for  "All In The Name Of Regress" while driving home from work one day, when I saw a tree that had been sculpted, for lack of a better word, around the telephone and electrical lines. I made a mental note to get a picture of it the next day. But I was delayed getting out of work, and had to rush home to meet the bus. So I couldn't take the time to stop. The next day, same thing. I think the day after that, I had to get the twins from day care, so I didn't go that way.

To make a long story longer, the next time I had an opportunity to stop, the tree didn't look...well, it didn't appear as I had remembered it. So I "settled" on a different picture of electrical wires. But over time, with the leaves changing colors, the scallop became more pronounced.

So here once again is "All In The Name Of Regress," with the "right" tree.

All In The Name Of Regress

 



















In 2003,
a tree
touched electricity,
and we
sat dumbly,
idly,
in antiquity
(no TV
or PCs)
for 43
hours.
We cowered
until the powers
that be
called the sawers
to cut the boughs
away from the towers.
Regrettably,
fait accompli.
But, what's one less squirrel bower
if we
can guarantee
that we
would never see
the delivery
of our energy
interrupted by something as unlikely,
anti-
technology,
and utterly
unnecessary
as a tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment