Friday, January 6, 2012

Castle: "Cuffed"

We finally got around to watching the December 5 episode of "Castle." Such is the burden of the holidays.

I thought this was a good one. One thing I really appreciated was how they told the story: the first segment (before the first commercial) started in the present (with Castle and Beckett waking up, handcuffed) and then was brought to that point through a series of flashbacks, as they tried to remember how they got there. After the break, they picked up in the present, and then moved forward. Very clever.

(Speaking of moving forward, as an aside, the DVR remote wasn't working. The buttons on the front of the DVR itself allowed us to start the episode, but not fast forward through the commercials. I felt so 20th century.)

I liked the secondary plot regarding Esposito and Lanie; it offered some comic relief and (as I have mentioned in a previous post) engages other characters to keep them involved and fresh, which allows the show to be about more than the principals.

With regard to the crime...OK, they got me. Even before Castle and Beckett heard their captors talking, and they started trying to communicate with the "person" on the other side of the wall, I was thinking "human trafficking." So when a tiger starts coming at Castle, I thought, "That was unexpected!"

A few picky things:

Admittedly, I'm not expert on jungle cats. But if I were locked in a room with a lot of knives, and a tiger started chewing / pawing through a flimsy wall, I'm going to get the biggest blade and start poking and slashing its paws and face. I said this aloud as we were watching it. My wife said, "You'd probably just piss him off." That may be so. But I would take my chances that the tiger would basically think, "Ouch! That thing has sharper claws than I do. I'm backing away."

My final criticism: the bad guys had no qualms about killing the driver. Why did they let Castle and Beckett live?

Overall, though, I had very few complaints.

Oh, and kudos to me, modestly. When Castle lifted Beckett up, trying to reach the trap door, he commented on her boots. "How do you run in these things?" he asked. I've already asked the same question.

I'm looking forward to next Monday's episode. "When a lothario is killed, Castle and Beckett suspect that the victim's mysterious double life holds the key to his murder. Their investigation leads to a shocking twist that threatens to disrupt Ryan's wedding with Jenny." Sounds intriguing.

What did you think?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment