Monday, February 20, 2012

Castle: "Pandora"

Since this is a two-parter, I'll reserve complete judgment until we've seen the second half. But a few observations about the first Pandora episode.

It was a good, taut thriller. Of course, Castle almost always is.

I loved the scene where the CIA agents tracked the phone call using their "cool toys," or whatever term it was that Jennifer Beals used. (Side note: I hope I look that good when I'm her age...um...never mind.) I especially liked the way they (the writers) had her mind working: "Narrow it down to calls under a minute. She would have kept it brief."

I had to rewind and re-watch the scene where Captain Gates walked away from Castle and Beckett in anger, and nearly knocked Esposito over. Funny!

I also smiled when Castle said they were working to "save the country from a nameless cataclysmic event." Another day, another apocalypse, blah, blah.

It was a cool (and well choreographed) move when Thomas Gage grabbed Beckett's gun and turned it on her in the parking garage.

The looks:

- Castle's glance when his mother said she approved of Alexis's new intern position. "That doesn't make me feel any better," he said with one eyebrow cocked.
- Castle's general awkwardness when he first saw Alexis at the crime scene.
- Jennifer Beals's steely eyed glance at Beckett when she explained what was going on, down in the secret Batcave.

A few downsides:

One, I thought they tried to build up mystery and suspense at the beginning: a disappearing body...an escaped prisoner...what is going on? But if you saw the previews, you knew that the CIA was involved. So of course there would be spy hijinks.

Two, I don't object to two-part episodes per se. But don't treat it as a cliff hanger. Oh no! Castle and Beckett are in a car that is sinking in the East River? Will they get out? If the show it to continue, probably. (And if you stuck around for the previews, it's pretty obvious that they do.) It reminded me of a mid-season episode of Grey's Anatomy. There is a ferry boat accident, and everyone is down at the pier helping. Then a stunned man climbs up out from the water, grabs Meredith's leg, and pulls her in.  

"Do you think she dies?" asked my sister.
"Yes," I said. "I think they'll kill her off and rename the show 'George's Anatomy.' "

But to be on the safe side, since I won't get to see it for a few days, if doomsday does come, don't spoil it for me."


 .

No comments:

Post a Comment