Thursday, April 12, 2012

Video Games

A few weeks back, I listened to the Lana Del Rey album, "Born To Die," with the thought that I could review it in this space. But to be honest, I was less than impressed with the disk. If I were writing a CD review for a magazine or e-zine, well, that would be my honest assessment. But since this is my blog, I thought, Do I really want to devote an entry to saying, "It's so-so." So I had put aside the idea. But I kept coming back to it because of that song...

To this day, I can still remember the first time I heard Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." (As an aside, we all know the original; have you ever heard the Tori Amos cover of it?) It made that much of an impact on me. And, I can say the same thing about Del Rey's "Video Games." (In fact, in both cases, I was driving in my car; the difference is that now I have a cell phone, which allowed me to call the radio station and say, "Who is this?")

Since, as I've stated in several previous posts, I don't listen to commercial radio stations, I don't know if the song is getting widespread airplay. So if you have not yet heard the song, find it and listen to it. (Or, just keep reading.)

There are so many adjectives I could use to describe "Video Games." Bittersweet. Magnificent. Mesmerizing. But I think "haunting" is the best. The song just grabs you, and stays with you. The musical arrangement is complex. Lyrics like "Take that body downtown" and "I say you the bestest," I simply adore. And her drawling vocal delivery is so dreamy. In fact, the latter is one of the things I would point out were I doing a full disk review: when she sings in her "girly voice," hit fast forward; but when she uses her lower range...wow!

The video is captivating as well. (And I think she borrowed Angelia Jolie's AND Steven Tyler's lips.)

Mikey sez check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Get a smartphone and download Shazam or SoundHound already!

    Then, the next time you hear a song, just tap the app and it will tell you the song name / artist, and give you links for bios, reviews, and where you can buy it. How easy is that?!

    --Michael

    ReplyDelete