Friday, June 22, 2012

The Full, Short Arc

By Michael Seese

Super agent Janet Reid served up another of her 100-word contests yesterday. The keywords:

star
magazine
crunch
cog
spree

This one came easily to me. Please enjoy my entry, "The Full, Short Arc."

The warm sunshine on the plaza made Sarah feel like more than a cog in a corporate machine, but a rising star, as she engaged in her daily mid-afternoon ritual: reading Vogue magazine while noshing on a Nestle Crunch and Sprees.

She had the full arc of her life planned: senior administrative assistant, paralegal, lawyer, perhaps pause to get married, junior partner, and finally senior partner. Yes, some day, her name would adorn the letterhead. Life would be perfect.

Her pager buzzed.

Back to the grind, she thought, unaware that she was five minutes from dropping into a diabetic coma. 

I'd like to point out that I got all five words in the first sentence. And if I may make a bold, brash prediction, I believe this one will win. I speak not from vanity. I just think this is the best story I have created for this space.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment