Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"Janet Was Early"

By Michael Seese

In my last post, in addition to bragging about "The Confession," I also mentioned a similar 100-word contest, this one at the blog of A.S. King, author of Please Ignore Vera Dietz, and the forthcoming Reality Boy.

The rules:


1. Your story MUST start with this sentence: Janet was early.
2. Your story MUST end with this sentence: Of course, she didn't.
3. Your story must be 100 words or less.


Here is my entry:

Janet was early, which is uncommon for one’s death penalty hearing. Emotionless, she faced the three anonymous judges.


“What is your plea?”


“I have to consult my magic 8 ball.”


“I beg your pardon?”


“It speaks the truth. But you can’t handle the truth.”


“You are out or order.”


“You’re out of order! The whole trial is out of order!”


“Guilty,” said one. “I must ask. How could you? Did you stop to think before murdering those innocents?”


Janet shuddered. A giant cosmic spider exploded from her chest. Just before it decimated the tribunal, it hissed, “Of course she didn’t.”

You may be wondering why there is a magic 8 ball and a cosmic spider. If you go to the blog entry promoting the contest, you'll see why.

The deadline is 8/18, so you still have time.

Was Janet early? Click to tweet.
Beware the cosmic spider.  Click to tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment