Friday, June 27, 2014

Flash Friday: A Bad Day

By Michael Seese

I managed to eke out a quick short story today for Flash Friday.

This is the prompt we had to work with:



 
















And here is "A Bad Day."



The Geiger counter was silent.

Phew, I thought. That's a relief.

I was ready to call it a day and go home. I wanted to put this one far behind me. A nice quiet dinner with my wife and kids, and then a glass of wine by the fireplace would go a long way toward accomplishing that goal.

We all have our bucket lists. I suppose to some extent we (consciously or not) also have an “un-bucket” list. Things we hope never to do.

Like sitting paralyzed as the pressure gauge rockets to the red line.

I never did like those hazmat suits. They tend to creep people out. With good reason, I suppose.

“So we're good?” I said.

“Hold on,” he said. At least that’s what I think he said. It was hard to understand him with the hood covering his face. “Open your mouth.”

I did. The thing started squealing like a pig.

“I’m sorry,” he said.
 



Feel free to share your thoughts on "A Bad Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment