Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Always A Bridesmaid...

By Michael Seese

OK, if you'll forgive the sexist remark, I'll move forward.

By my count, I've entered 15 of Rebekah Postupak's Flash! Friday contests.  And 15 times, I did not win. One of them, "Big Sister," did earn an honorable mention. But otherwise... nada.

Until this week!

(Cue angelic choir.)

I'm pleased to announce that "The Farm" took home the coveted "Dragon Award."





















Here is what judge Betsy Streeter said.

This story does a masterful job of moving between two realities while flipping them on their heads. At first, it’s just an anxious band of humans. And, I love the sentence, “False hope is cruelty.” But then, you pull out to see an insect and the whole description shifts to a new language. Clicking mandibles, hatchday. And you realize, the humans are the scurrying, terrified bugs, and the bugs are amusing themselves without a care. The statement, “They are so cool!” conveys just how the bugs see the humans. Which is just the way humans see bugs. This is a great one to look at for examples of how simple word choice draws such a vivid picture – and how vocabulary can also create contrast.

And the cherry on top: my very own "Sixty Seconds With" interview.

Yaaaaay!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats! It is my first week participating and, wow, what stiff competition! There are so many excellent writers contending over there. You must be so proud. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete