Monday, March 23, 2015

Castle: Hong Kong Hustle

by Michael Seese

In hindsight, I guess I wasn't all that impressed with "Hong Kong Hustle." Though I did not dislike it, consider:

- We watched it Thursday night.
- I didn't have time to write my review the next day, because Flash! Friday called. (And my entry, incidentally, was named first runner up.) Weekends can be busy as well.
- As I sat down to write on Monday, my first thought was, "Who was the murderer?"


After probing the depths of my brain, I remembered. And then...

SPOILERS!

... I thought, "Why again did she do it?"

If memory serves, the victim was going to pay off the debt of, thereby freeing one of, her slave waitresses. (If I have this wrong, refer back to the first sentence.)

Let me see if I got this straight. You're afraid you're going to lose ONE of your girls, so you kill the guy who is going to free her. Now you're going to jail. Let's do some mental math: get another girl, or kill the guy and risk prison. Yup. Option 2 sounds like a winner.

NOT!

Oh well.

I have to admit, the subplot of Beckett's (good natured) jealousy of Zhang was funny. And it gave us our best lines.

Beckett: "No, Castle. She's just like me. Only better."

Beckett: "Oh my god, Castle. I haven't felt like this since I had pimples."

Castle: "That sounds like something Zhang would say. Are you quoting her?"
Beckett: (pause) "No."

A few other standouts.

Castle: "Who is Ensign Klemp, and why hasn't he changed his name?"

Ryan: "She told him [the witness] to run. He probably set a personal best."


Castle: "Henry took something of value from the inside. That's what the assassin was trying to retrieve from his pocket."
Beckett: "And said stolen item was?"
Castle: "Cold fusion technology. Genetically engineered supervirus. A secret, unpublished Harry Potter manuscript."

Castle: "So you mean to tell me she got both of your guns."
Ryan: "Hey, you weren't there."

Castle: "Ryan, this is my third marriage. I think I know what I'm doing."

Let's see what At Close Range brings. Feel free to share your thoughts on "Hong Kong Hustle."


No comments:

Post a Comment