Saturday, May 2, 2015

Flash! Friday: "Monkey See"

by Michael Seese

BRRRRRRRRR!  

A chilling story this week. A few weeks back, I said I wanted to focus more on the photograph, rather than the story element cue, which this week was "Catch -22." And when I looked at the guy's face...



















it was easy to come up with a story that featured a desperate man.

So with out further ado, here is "Monkey See."


She gasps a little when she sees me reach in through the small gap in the door. 

"Don't worry. I will get you," I say evenly.

She tries to speak. But terror owns her voice.

"Where is it?" I hiss. "I know it's here somewhere." Then my fingertip finds metal.

"Please," she begs, "just go."

"You know I can't do that."

I wish that I could crawl through the tiny peephole, and end the game. The key is close. I can just jiggle it with my middle finger. I block out her cries as I focus on the task. Sinew tearing, I stretch the last inch, and snatch it from the hook.

"I've got it," I say. "Sheila, I'm getting you out."

"You're too late," she sobs.

"What do you –"

"Quite the quandary," says a slithery baritone. "Do you know how they used to capture monkeys? They'd place a banana inside a cage with a narrow slit. Small enough for an open hand to reach in, but not wide enough for a clenched fist to come out."

My limited view allows me to see only his torso.

And the knife.

"Not wanting to drop the prize, he remains a prisoner. Willingly. I hope you enjoy the show."

Please share your thoughts on "Monkey See."


No comments:

Post a Comment