Saturday, June 6, 2015

Flash! Friday: That Shall He Also Reap

by Michael Seese

I'll make this brief. By the time you read this, we'll probably be back from vacation. So I had to work this story around splashing in the pool and walking on the beach. (End bragging.)

As I prefer to do, I focused on this week's picture first.


 













(The caption reads "inspection." That will be relevant when you read the story.)

I had some ideas, but nothing really clicked. Then I read the other part of the prompt -- that the character had to be a farmer -- and realized that my ideas-in-progress would not work. 

So I came up with the concept around 5:00, and pieced it together over the next few hours, finishing and posting at 11:37.


So here is "That Shall He Also Reap."

Be not deceived.
Should I be a naughty nurse? No? What about a French maid? Mais non? OK, I'm a Catholic school girl, sweet and naive.
God is not mocked.
Just for you, I'll wear the uniform. Snow white Oxford shirt, plaid skirt, knee-high socks.
For whatever a man sows.
I have a story, a story no one knows.
That shall he also reap.
A secret I can no longer keep.
For he that soweth to his flesh.
I tried. I really tried to do my best.
Shall of the flesh reap corruption.
But with a father who drank himself into oblivion, I became a "parent" at 16. My mother? What to say about a mother who fucked the gardener, the pool boy, the neighbor? No man was safe from her obsessive-seductive compulsion.
But he that soweth to the Spirit.
So I ran away. But the thing your high school track coach doesn't tell you is, the faster you run, the faster the pursuit runs. So this now is my life, or something near it.
Shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Upon closer inspection, I needed affection, attention, love, understanding. But all I had at dinner was cacophony of silence and a plate full of emotional fasting.


Thoughts... good, bad, ugly? Also, there is a Janet Reid contest tomorrow, so check back on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment