Sunday, May 15, 2016

Janet Flash: Dumb Animals

by Michael Seese

This week's Janet Reid contest was somewhat challenging, given the nature of the words:

miff
tiff
sulk
huff
fluff


Luckily, we're allowed to tack extra letters onto the words. Doing so allowed me to write "Dumb Animals."
 

The deer chuffed as it pranced in the white fluff.

“Take a breath, squeeze the trigger,” Dad urged me.

I froze. The deer spied me and dashed. I exhaled relief. Clearly, bloodlust is miffy. Then Dad coolly felled it.

He sulked the entire drive home. “It's just a dumb animal,” was all he said. The relief of his silence lasted only to the front door.

“I need a stiff drink, and... Look at this house! Where’s your idiot mother?"

That day, for the first time in my life, I saw my Father as a killer. It wouldn't be the last.



I've got to say, "miffy" is a pretty cool word. (And yes, I had to look it up.) 

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment