Sunday, July 10, 2016

Janet Flash: "17"

by Michael Seese

A funny thing happened on the way to this week's Janet Reid contest. I wrote a story, and NOBODY DIES! Janet noted she is attending the ThrillerFest XI conference. In honor of that, she chose the words:

thrill
grand
gin
pitch
16 (the latter a reference to 2016)

From those words came "17."

I missed the thrill of being 16.

From the juvenile stuff like egging houses or ringing a doorbell and running, to more life-altering adolescent lapses like waking up, stinking of gin, and finding random bruises in awkward places. While my friends’ paths criss-crossed and careened toward adulthood, I was forced onto the straight road of responsibility. 

Speaking of ringing and running, I hope the Hendersons -- so says the name on the mailbox -- will let her have some fun. Just not too much. Like her mother did.

“To 17!” I said to nobody, pitching back another shot to celebrate bittersweet freedom. 


As always, I welcome your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment