Sunday, September 3, 2017

Janet Flash: Just Visiting

by Michael Seese

I spent most of Saturday working around the house, trying to "cut the table" as they say, offering me precious little time to write. So when I went to bed, I didn't have anything solid to submit to the latest Janet Reid contest, in honor of her "new best friend Snappsy The Alligator." 
























We had to use the words:

snap
gator
snap
iron
tie
 
But sleep has a way of working magic. And 30 minutes before the 9:00 a.m. deadline, I posted "Just Visiting."


I opened the door silently, reverently. Everything was as I remembered it. The furniture, now comically small. The plush alligator and tie-dye tiger flanking blankie. On the shelf, guarding them all, Iron Man. I picked up the picture of the three of us. I thought he was just unhappy. But looking at it now, I see it in his eyes.

Insanity.

I never asked Dad if that was why he did it. The sentence, carried out today, guarantees I never will.

Closing that door tightly, I prayed it would never snap open again, like the eye of an awakened dragon.



As always, I'd love to hear what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment