Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Janet Flash: Lies

by Michael Seese

(Somehow, I drafted this, but never hit the "publish" button. Ooops!) 

I've had quite the dry spell lately in the Janet Reid flash fiction contests. I can't remember the last time I even sniffed the winner's circle. Maybe this will be different...





















Gushing about The Spaces Between Us by Stacia Tolman, a "delicious new novel," Janet built a contest around the words:

space
between
fair
bank
holt


A "holt," per Merriam-Webster, is a "small woods."

I wanted to build something off that word. Ideas like "alcohol tolerance" and "alcohol taste" came to mind. But then I hit upon the combo I ultimately used, and "Lies" fell into place. 

(To the tune of nearly 200 words. Thank goodness for my magic red pen.)


I remember the night we met.

He spied me, all irresistible, across the bar. Like a shot, the space between us disappeared.
 

"I can do to you things you've only dreamed of," I cooed.
 

"I don't know," he stammered, unsure of whether he actually was unsure. "I've never..."
 

I love "virgins." They're money in the bank.
 

I touched his lips.
 

He was mine.
 

Our affair deepened. He introduced me to his friends. Even a few coworkers. Discreetly.
 

"Don't worry," I assured him. "You can end this anytime."
 

But that's just the alcohol talking.
 

And when I talk, I always lie.


I'm very happy with this one. Let's just say I'll carry a "glass half full" attitude through the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment