Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Castle: "The Fast And The Furriest"

By Michael Seese

This won't be a gushing review. (And no, Hell did NOT freeze over.) "The Fast And The Furriest" didn't do a whole lot for me. Perhaps they went to the "Scooby well" once too often. And too recently. Although, what other show could work the Smurfs and Avatar into the same cultural reference?

So back to the "well" analogy. Like "Scared To Death" and "Undead Again," you knew that:

1. Castle would be absolutely convinced that a supernatural force was at work.
2. Beckett would be absolutely convinced that a supernatural force was not at work.
3. There would be a moment where she sees something which makes her think, "Could Castle be right?"
4. Then the balloon would pop.

In my review of one of those episodes, I probably recited the same basic "you knew..." litany. But it didn't bother me then. Perhaps this time, it was just old. Or perhaps, I assumed that, if nothing else, it was a guy in a Bigfoot suit; in contrast, "Scared To Death" offered no immediately apparent alternate explanations. Also, I thought the ending fell flat. In many episodes, the killer turns out to be a non-suspect. But at least, they offered a credible and clever explanation for the motive. In this case, they took the easy way out: "It turns out, you're a known stalker." Deus ex machina

Oh well. 

On the positive side, I did enjoy the scene where Castle and Beckett were sitting in bed, and he was trying to explain his love of the unknown: "There are no new continents to explore. There's no more deepest, darkest Africa."
 
I did think it was funny that, in this episode, Ryan was totally on board with Castle's hypothesis. I give extra credit for the exchange:

Beckett & Esposito: "Who's Darrel Meeks?"
Castle & Ryan "Who's Darrel Meeks?"

Which segues nicely to lines. 

Castle: "I've never sleep aten... Sleep ate... Sleep eaten."

Castle: "You're saying someone framed Bigfoot?"

Esposito: "Gentlemen, I hate to rain on your parade."
Castle: "Do you?"
Esposito: "No."

Castle: "Are you scared of my work?"
Beckett: "No, I'm scared that I might murder you, and then I'll have two crime scenes."

And looks:

The entire scene with Castle and "Moonshine."

Castle's smirk when the Aussie Bigfoot hunter told Beckett, "You're squatting in the wrong bush."

Castle's look of subtle realization when Alexis said she was afraid he would have given her "the speech," and he replies, "Oh..that speech, yeah." 

Next week's episode, "The Squab And The Quail," looks to be (if I may re-use a favorite word) intense. I'm going to make a bold prediction, though, and say they won't kill Beckett.

Feel free to share your thoughts. And something new...


Get someone else's fur flying.  Click to tweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment