Sunday, November 2, 2014

Flash Fiction: Opus One

by Michael Seese

Luckily, I checked my RSS feeds this time...

Last week, I completely missed one of Janet Reid's 100-word contests. I was really bummed, because the 100-word stories -- once you get the idea -- are pretty easy to write. I have to say, though, that the winning entry was REALLY good, and would have been hard to beat.

I didn't make the same mistake (forgetting to check my RSS) again.

This time, we had to use the words

beautiful
thing
await
paper
back

And here is "Opus One," which I basically "brain-wrote" while folding laundry.


I breathed a sigh of relief.

Finished!

Nearly a year of sweat and tears were poured into this masterpiece. "Masterpiece." Those are some great expectations, pun intended. I prayed it would be good.

Like all writers, I live in a place called "wracked with doubt." What if it’s terrible? What if everyone hates it?

Now came the hard part. Letting go, and awaiting certainly from a fickle future.

I looked at my husband, asleep in the chair, a tattered paperback covering his eyes, then down at the beautiful little thing in my arms.

No, no doubt. She is a masterpiece.


OK, so I'm not a woman. I think it still works. Agree / disagree? 



No comments:

Post a Comment